Below is a subset of Lecture Tutorials which we have developed and tested. Jessica Smay and I have published a full workbook of Lecture Tutorials with WH Freeman (Lecture Tutorials for Introductory Geoscience, 2010; ISBN: 1429253789), so instructors can more easily implement them in their classes. If you use Lecture Tutorials in your class, we would love to hear from you , because we want comments and feedback so we can improve Lecture Tutorials in the future.
Jessica Smay and I have also published a module on Lecture Tutorials on the SERC webpage, On the Cutting Edge - Teaching Methods. This module gives more in-depth information about Lecture Tutorials, tips for implementing them in the classroom, and additional examples.
Sample Lecture Tutorials (1014 KB) This sample includes the following Lecture Tutorials and preface from Lecture Tutorials for Introductory Geoscience:
1. Plate Boundaries in Oceans
Descriptions of the Lecture Tutorials in the Subset:
1. Plate Boundaries in Oceans -- Students will learn about divergent and convergent plate boundaries and the motions and features associated with them. This Lecture Tutorials addresses the common misconception students have that plates are coming together at divergent plate boundaries, and it emphasizes the relationship between plate boundaries and seafloor features.
2. Magma Source Depth -- Students think about the formation of magma within the Earth, and they compare that depth to the layers within the Earth. Specifically this Lecture Tutorial clarifies the difference between the molten outer core and the source of magma for volcanoes.
3. Igneous Rock Mineral Size -- This Lecture Tutorial teaches students the cause of different mineral sizes in igneous rocks and how to determine the history of these igneous rocks. Students realize that magma that cools slowly results in fewer minerals that are larger in size, instead of smaller, more numerous minerals.
4. Groundwater Contamination -- Students use groundwater elevation contour maps to determine the direction of motion of groundwater and contaminants.
Booklet of all 15 Lecture
Tutorials (2.52 MB) This booklet includes the following Lecture
1. Earth’s Tectonic Plate Boundaries