Dr. D. M. Yordy
Community College of Rhode Island
Biology 1020: Human Physiology
XVI. Learning Objectives: Respiratory Physiology III
1. You should be able to define the following terms: reciprocal innervation, chemoreceptor, hypocapnia, hypercapnia
2. You should be able to discuss voluntary and involuntary respiration.
3. You should be able to explain the condition known as Ondine's curse".
4. You should be able to explain the relationship between "I" and "E" neurons.
5. You should be able to differentiate between central and peripheral chemoreceptors. 6. You should be able to discuss the negative feedback control of ventilation through changes in blood carbon dioxide and pH.
7. You should be able to discuss the pulmonary stretch receptors and the Hering-Breur reflex and its significance.
8. You should be able to discuss how the respiratory tract is kept clean.
9. You should be able to discuss the negative impact cigarette smoking has on the respiratory system.
At the end of this section you should understand the control over the process of respiration.